Monday, January 10, 2011

Our Bullrun experience (PSE Bullrun: Takbo Para sa Ekonomiya)


This is my first run for 2011 and it has been a good one for me. 

I did 10km with my friend Rein and Chris on an average pace and we timed 1hr:14mins:11secs finish (Chris ran faster than the 2 of us). It was Chris and Rein’s first 10km run. It was a good one because we have to go through Kalayaan Flyover’s variation going to Makati and back. It’s the same route for Adidas KOTR last year but that one I wasn’t able to appreciate these things. Back then, I just want to get over the race because Marr doesn’t want me too since I just came from being sick. The bullheaded me still ran that day because I’m thinking about the expensive registration and it was my motto not to miss a race if there’s no life and death reason that would prevent me from doing so…besides I was too excited to join KOTR…only to be disappointed at the end. That’s a different story though.

Going back to this day. 

Before the weekend, we heard an unexpected news about my friend’s old friend/loved one. I was hesitant to go as I don’t know how to comfort or help him with what he’s going through. I texted him and told him that if he doesn’t want to go that would be okay but he said he needs this run more. We agreed to meet along the hi-way at 4am.  I was already there by then for the fear of not being picked up as my mom only gave me P50 that day (which I was not able to spend and returned to her when I got back home later that morning. She doesn’t want me to go because she said it’s unnecessary expense, though she knows and understand that I love to run so with the situation she left me find my own means, thankfully I have friends ^^, ). At 5am were on our way to The Fort stopping by at a Shell gas station, we saw the 16km runners going to the flyover already. Rein and I went ahead of Chris as he still has to park the car. We hurried to the starting line only to find out that 10km runners went off already so we have to wait for 5km to start as we were stuck in the middle of them. We agreed to just separate from the bunch on the crossroads and watch out for those markers. Our goal is to take the run slow as it has been a long time since we last ran and it’s Rein’s first 10km so I paced him and check from time to time with him if our pace is just right. I gave him pointers for running as he is already leaving for Angola the next day and promised to regularly run there so we could go on marathons again when he come back on September. I was talking from start to finish. We set goals like getting past this runner with a red singlet or the one with a blue one and it was fun as we noisily exhale and say “excuse me!” along the way. We observe the runners in front of us and those way ahead of us while keeping an eye just in case we see Chris along the way. Chris caught up with us around the 7th km and the three of us finished the race together.

The only disappointing part on this run is the lack of cones that identifies our path and the markers (like every km so you’ll know if you’re nearing the end ;)). There are also water stations that do not have cups or where Gatorade is still being mixed and you’re left on your own to cup your own drink. Some marshalls are not familiar with the instructions or they seem to be at lost when you ask them where to go but apart from that, everything went well. Some cheerers along the way really make us smile and Runner’s runner photographers are very accommodating. The finisher’s kit isn’t as generous as the previous ones I heard they give out (with finisher’s shirt and cap), but that’s okay. At least they have certificates along with Century Corned Tuna, a banana and Gatorade in this cute blue pouch. We saw Tessa Prieto, Pia Cayetano, and Christine Jacobs during the post race event but as we don’t have our cam with us, we were not able to have our pictures with them. Luckily, we had a picture with Runner’s runner KB at the Start/Finish line and hopefully, we still have some pictures from Maria’s Album (c/o RR also) once she’s able to upload the pics from Kalayaan Flyover.

Rein said that he likes this better than the first 2 runs we were into and that even if we’ve run 10km today, it isn’t as tiring as the previous ones. Chris agreed too and so do I. I wasn’t too keen about my time or PR here. I just want to keep my word, that I’ll run with my friend from start to finish (which by the way is my first time to pace and do). It feels great! At the end of it, we we’re blessed to have a drizzle of rain which for me is a good sign-a sign of hope, of life and of everything new. The rain reminded me the very reason why I love running and that’s basically to feel good and have fun.
Chris, Me, and Rein after crossing the finish line...thanks to KB from Runner's runner for this pic ^_^.

No comments:

Post a Comment