Sunday, May 16, 2010

My First Official Marathon Run in 2010


Yesterday’s Chase the Sun Neutrogena Run was my first official marathon this year.
We gathered at the starting line at 5:25 a.m. for the group warm up stretching exercise and got ready for the 5km gun start at 5:55, exactly just as the sun was rising in the east. It was a beautiful summer Sunday to chase the sun.
Approaching my 2nd kilometer, I thought I would not last this one because it’s been a while since I’ve run long distance. In those instances that I’ve wanted to walk, I settle for a slow-brisk walk-stride as I approach and leave the water station. I was advised by my coach to keep my pace and not fully stop when the urge to do so comes, to prevent having cramps. I am 5km Runner 2516. My chip time registered a 35mins:48 seconds finish. Whew! Not bad for a start.
I have braved this one…my first one…alone. I thought my friend would be able to accompany me but he was racing in Nuvali for another event. In result, I only have a number of pictures on this event and was not able to enjoy the post race gathering. =( I guess what’s more important more than the pictures and the freebies is that I was able to gauge myself in an actual race. I’ve learn about stride as I run with other runners, my own pace, my endurance, about myself as a runner. I was able to have such confidence to approach other people to have my photo taken for documentation and talk about the run with other runners in line as we get our finisher’s kit. Marathon could also build one’s socialization skills.^^,
I have definitely enjoyed this one and am looking forward for the trail run next month! ^_^


No comments:

Post a Comment